Peterborough is a great small town with many locally-owned businesses, great arts and culture, and lots of things to do. You’ll find however that the pace is a bit different from the 24/7 schedule you get in most cities and more-highly populated areas. The following suggestions have been put together to help you plan your trip.
- Arriving by plane? The closest airports are Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT), just 1 hour away, and Boston Logan Airport (BOS), about 1 ½ hours (by car, not counting traffic). Hartford/Springfield Airport (BDL) is about 2 hours away but can be a much easier to get in and out of than Boston and is worth considering their flight options.
- Need to arrive late? Not a problem. Please just let us know in advance so we can plan accordingly.
- Most GPS systems do not have our address marked exactly right – we might be a short distance before or after your GPS indicates. If you are coming from the downtown area, we are exactly 1.1 miles from the Grove Street/Main Street stop sign, on the left side of the road.
- Since this area is quite rural, there is very little public transportation available (just one or two taxi services cover the region). It is best to have your own car or rental when traveling in the area.
Restaurants and Shops
- The kitchens of most local restaurants typically close around 9:00 or 9:30 PM, some are open a little later on weekends. If you would like suggestions to fit your schedule, we are happy to help.
- Most shops close in early evening, around 5:00 or 6:00 PM, just a few are open until 7:00 or later, so you’ll probably want to explore the shops before dinner, not after.
- Most restaurants and shops are closed or have limited hours at least one day of the week (typically Sun, Mon or Tues). Happily, they do not all pick the same day, so there are always plenty to choose from. If you have a particular restaurant or shop you are hoping to visit, just check their schedule so you won’t be disappointed.
- Oh…and things change. It never hurts to call ahead to make sure a place is open and their hours haven’t changed.
- Cell phones – Verizon has the best cell phone signal in this area. Others may not be quite as good (there is no T-Mobile service within 10 miles of Peterborough). If you need to make or receive calls during your stay, the house phone is available as needed (for local or domestic long distance calls).
If there is anything we missed…please just ask!